Stephen is a tech & product strategist with a passion for solving big social problems. Stephen has 6 years of software product development experience and has worked in teams ranging from Google Inc to Transparency International to develop scalable software solutions. As an alumnus of the Google software engineering internship program based in Switzerland, Stephen was an engineer on the emerging markets team. Stephen has also served as a Co-founder & CTO for a tech start-up focusing on the transport industry in Nairobi. In his last role Stephen was the Digital Product Manager at Jambojet (Kenya’s first low cost airline), where he led an increase in online revenue by 14%. Stephen is also an alumnus of the Mandela Washington Fellowship program, where he attended Clark Atlanta University, harnessing relevant skills sets and competencies to incubate, accelerate, and effectively manage business enterprises.Download Printable Resume
What I'm good at
My previous associations
• Collaborate closely with the Learning Department and other key stakeholders to understand the vision, needs and problems that must be solved in order to effectively scale Andela’s learning efforts and programs. • Manage the talent development product roadmap to enable us track, measure and optimize learning. • Communicate product direction to all relevant team members • Maintain requirements documents and other assets that articulate Andela’s user learning needs
• Increased of online revenue by 14% • Led the redesign and development of the JamboJet website by product managing a remote team of designers and developers. • Developed and maintained the Product Backlog. Communicated release priorities, project progress and post- launch results • Created wireframes and collaborate with 3rd party vendors to create mockups and prototypes. Solicited and negotiated design feedback from internal stakeholders. • Led the measurement and reporting of all ecommerce KPIs as well as conducted and presented ad-hoc analyses and reports. • Was directly responsible for strategic and day-to-day support analytics needs around online promotions and customer experience. • Created the strategy to optimize paid search and display campaigns
• Coordinated a diverse team of 12 individuals into developing a product that generated recurring revenue of up to $300,000 in 7 months and serves more than 1000 students. • Created and implemented a data driven product management process that enabled teams to have a consistent growth of 25% in productivity every quarter. • Developed systems for measuring and improving learning impact that enabled us to consistently get NPS scores of 70 from our clients – Industry average 61. • Created a customer feedback collection process that ensured we collected actionable feedback. The process powered our company’s vision by identifying the most important product development activities & features that need to be focused on. • Managed a team of software developers and created a student information system [web-application] that enabled our organization to collect, compile and analyze all data in one system. This enabled our company to stay lean as our clientele base grew. • Aggressively launched and improved product features, through execution of product sprints that moved our organizational priorities forward.
• Led creation of Spire's first online & SMS tools to evaluate learning, retention, and behavioral impact of Spire's training, reducing impact measurement time from paper surveys by 80% • Identified and launched a new learning management system (LMS) that resulted in a 4x increase in student utilization of online lessons & assessments while reducing annual costs by 30% • Developed an employer facing web portal that enabled Spire’s employer partners to access student profiles and filter them according to the needs of their companies, this allowed them to make quick hires that resulted in 96% employment rate
• Developed a web application for Transparency International Kenyan chapter that enables their employees monitor the impact of monetary donations in combating deforestation in Kenya. (POC system) • Developed the Fraud Vigilance Android application that is used by organizations to report fraud activity to the national database. The reports helps partner organizations in fraud mapping, identifying fraud trends and fraud scoring. • Designed & developed 8 mobile apps for Google Play & Amazon; Received 10,000+ downloads and generated profits of ~$1,000 / month: Fruit Blast, TronRacer, FuelLogger Pro, NewsBite, Dudo Pro, BudgetPro, Blackjack Trainer Pro, HotDeath Uno.
• Led a team of 5 software developers in creating the software which was modular, scalable and deployable on several platforms (desktop web, mobile web, android, and IOS), which ensured that clients on every major platform were able to access our system. • As a co-product lead, achieved product-market fit within 7 months of launch and raised seed funding of $50000. • Drove a 30% organic growth by integrating analytics in the software to identify gaps in the user onboarding funnel which enabled the company to improve on the user story and optimize the software for new users and existing clients.
• Developed the front end web client and reporting components for the BebaPay system which interfaced with the more than 700K users actively using the platform and aided them in managing their accounts efficiently. • Conducted research on the factors impacting the Android app's energy consumption, which led us to adjust the apps reporting and communication algorithms to reduce energy consumption by 30% • Ran multiple experiments using "MQTT", a light weight telemetry messaging protocol (that works a lot better than HTTP for light-weight communication) on low bandwidth and unreliable networks and optimized the BebaPay’s algorithm to increase uptime from 30% to 60% in areas where mobile networks were weak.